Friday, November 2, 2018

RT - Day 19 (Graceland)

Alarm set for 5:30am this morning! Noooo...ewww…!!!

I haven't set an alarm since I've been on this trip! Almost three weeks. It was still dark outside when I rolled out of bed. On the road by 6:30am and leaving Brentwood, Tennessee to get to Graceland in Memphis. Oh Graceland, Graceland!
Similar to the Disneyland ticketing entrance. They bus you across the street to the mansion after you buy your ticket.
Here's the thing...I knew next to nothing about Elvis Presley. I knew his face and a couple of his songs, but I just didn't get how magnetic he really was until I went to Graceland. This man was talented, inspiring, authentic and you couldn't help but fall in love with him. Yes, he was handsome, but his aura transcended his smoky eyes and pouty lips. If I had been a young girl back in his day I know I would have been crazy for this man.

As I was touring the mansion, the museums and the grounds in general I continually had this overwhelming feeling to cry. Cry out of love for someone I didn't know. That's what Graceland felt like...love. So much love for this one man by so many people. It filled the grounds. I knew if I'd stared at him any longer I would be inclined to fall in love with a ghost. It was a weird feeling. How wonderful when a person is loved so greatly. I hope he had a good life...even being the icon he was.

The entire museums and grounds only showed and talked about Elvis in his prime. They didn't show one picture of his late thirties and early forties and definitely nothing about drugs or sadness or his death. They didn't even talk about how the world reacted to his death. It was all just about memorializing his youth and talents. It was not a documentary-focused museum, it was a tribute museum. The love there was big and real.

So, even though he was an amazing singer, he was not a decorator. Haha. Even for back in those days...the décor was...wow...here are a few pics.
Front of the mansion...gorgeous!

This room!!!! LOL! It was all pleated fabric, every inch. It took two weeks for the people to install it all.

One side of one of the dens. There is green carpet on the ceiling! And up the stairs to get to this room is green carpet on the walls and floor and ceiling too.
This was part of the back yard and called the meditation area. It is also the burial grounds for Elvis and his parents.

The famous pink Cadillac in the motor showroom. The cars were still beautiful. 

One of three walls of his awards. This was just one little section, but when I walked into it my eyes widened, then watered, and I was again in awe of how impactful Elvis was to us.

I bought a few little souvenirs and left Graceland. Again, I was on the verge of crying almost the entire time, so it was time for me to leave. Seeing his clothes and videos and pictures...very impactful. I would suggest going to Graceland to anyone who has the slightest interest in Elvis. It would have been more fun with another person, I'm sure, but I'm a talker so I think I was missing the element of conversation throughout my tour. The Graceland staff and foundation has done a great job at preserving his memory.

Back on the road and leaving Tennessee behind to go back through Arkansas. The drive was just as lovely as before.


I am staying two nights in a place called Hot Springs. YES! Hot springs! They have an entire street of old fashioned bathhouses which is where I'll be spending some of my time tomorrow. Sooo looking forward to that!

My Airbnb place is nestled in the middle of nowhere, but really only 10 minutes north of Hot Springs. Driving here was beautiful. The woman is very artsy and makes soaps and things so the house smells a lot like a homeopathic Bath and Body Works. Usually I run in and out of BBW because the smell is too strong, but I can't run from here so I'm telling my brain it's not that bad. There's a little rock fountain inside too that gurgles. It's like a "woo-woo" spa with all the natural healing stuff. I dig it. Not every Airbnb needs to feel like a hotel room. This place has personality and the woman is very sweet. She made spaghetti for me and I brought garlic bread. We had a meal together and it felt nice to just relax with company.

It's only 7:55pm you guys and I'm pooped. It's shower, then bed for me. Being up early doesn't agree with my body anymore. Who am I kidding...it never did! Waking up for PCWA at 4:30am was BS and I hated it! Thank God all that is behind me. :-)

Sleep tight readers!
Kel

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Heroine’s Journey

I put lipstick on this morning.  I get in my car, buckled my seatbelt, and apply a pretty shade of Perfectly Pink in preparation for an eigh...