Monday, October 22, 2018

RT - Day 8 (Rocky Mountain National Park)

Let's talk about this first....

HELLO!?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!?!? My 90 year old travelling companion, Joy, may have been getting a little tired of me saying, "Oh my god! $2.73! I can't believe it!" Eventually she just stopped responding to my continued and renewed shock and enthusiastic cries every time we passed a gas station. Hahaha! :-)

Now, let's talk about this majesty...


Rocky Mountain National Park

HELLO!?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!?!? I took that with my camera phone!!!!!

Dear family - This photo, framed, is what I'd like for Christmas. Maybe something for the bathroom or to be hung at the front door so I can see it every day when I leave my house to remind me of the incredible beauty of the world. ~ Thank you, Kelly

Joy and I spent the day in the Rocky Mountain National Park. At the entrance to the park we were greeted by a Park Ranger who desperately needed a hug! A really big Kelly hug! He actually rolled his eyes at us a few times when we said we just wanted a $25 day pass and not an $80 senior lifetime pass. I guess the thought of looking at a senior without a senior pass just got his goat. Either way, we got in and enjoyed the scenery.

Right off the bat we pulled off (okay...I kinda just stopped in the middle of the road and let cars go around me) because there was this beautiful elk just munching away on grass like six feet from us! 20 feet up the road was another one who had like eight points and was scratching his antlers on the thin, but sturdy reeds at the base of a tree. He was in elk heaven! It reminded me of how I feel when I use on of those extendable back scratchers shaped like a little hand for the hard to reach places. Sooo good. :-) I wanted to take a pic, but Joy said we'd see a lot more and let's not just be stopped in the middle of the road anymore. Well...we didn't see another elk. Hahaha! We laughed about that later.

We made it to a place called Sprague Lake, parked, meditated next to the creek while sharing a little blanket I brought, then I walked around the lake. It was just under a mile and the walkway was perfectly groomed for leisurely walkers. A third of the lake was still frozen. I threw a rock and it just bounced along the ice.

We got home, had dinner and then played cards for about an hour. I won every hand of Gin except for her one win. When she laid down the cards her hand looked perfect and then this random eight slid out between the four twos!!! Hahaha! We were cracking up. Okay, it doesn't sound that funny, but it was funny to us.

I never went back into the hot tub at the house, but I will remember it and the entire stay with my sweet and spirited friend Joy.

Thank you Joy, Susie, John for letting me stay in your home for these four days. It felt like home to me.

XO,
Kelly

PS - Dinner was a very delicious homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. The cheese was Velveeta...something else I've never had. Apparently, there isn't actually cheese in Velveeta. Susie said she talked to a guy who worked for the company and there is no cheese, hardly any milk and is pretty much an edible polymer that melts really well. Dude!!! We use polymers for the water treatment process at the water treatment plants. So that's like slapping some cheese flavor on some goop and calling it food! Hahaha! Gross...and unfortunately yummy in grilled cheese sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Heroine’s Journey

I put lipstick on this morning.  I get in my car, buckled my seatbelt, and apply a pretty shade of Perfectly Pink in preparation for an eigh...